CQ as a business has a real commitment to excellence in our processes and aim to be NZ's Greenest Printer. We are proud to be part of the Enviro-mark Program and Q is now Bronze Accredited.
CQ is proud to be Kiwi owned and operated. As New Zealanders we feel there is a responsibility to protect the beautiful land we live in. Accordingly we seek to actively manage our operations so that we have a positive effect on the environment.
We are committed to:
- Keeping waste products to a minimum by recycling and reusing
- Conserving energy by managing our machines effectively and efficiently
- Regularly upgrading our machines so that we have the most efficient technology available
- Using environmentally friendly products wherever possible
- Educating staff and customers in ways to protect the environment
- Offering customers a full range of recycled paper stocks and environmentally friendly alternatives.
Print On Demand
Print what you want! When you want it! eg: no ordering 1500 and only using 900
Print on demand reduces the need for storage, saving space and resources as well as reducing the possibility of stock becoming out-dated and useless.
Things to consider when looking at paper, but don't worry CQ checks this out with every paper we stock.
- Where does the paper come from? It needs to be legally harvested from a sustainable tree farm. Look for Chain of Custody Certifications.
- How was it whitened? (Don't worry all CQ's paper stocks are whitened without toxic chemicals). Look for ECF (elemental chlorine free), TCF (totally chlorine free) or PCF (process chlorine free).
- Is the paper produced by an environmentally responsible company? Look for papers produced by mills with Environmental Management Systems certifications such as EMAS or ISO14001.
- Recycled fibre or sustainably grown? Look for papers with recognised Eco Labels such as Nordic Swan, Triple Green and Blue Angel.
All our recycled paper stocks are now the same price as our regular paper produced from virgin fibre eg Harvest Recycled 115gsm is the same price as New Silk 113gsm. That means you have the opportunity to get these "green papers" at absolutely no extra cost.
The Paper Facts
All CQ's paper comes from sustainable tree farms. Check out the environmental information for all of CQ's paper range.
If you care about the environment, cutting down a tree sounds mad but if a tree is cut down in a sustainable tree farm, three to four new trees are planted in their place.
"There aren't many industries around that can aspire to becoming genuinely sustainable. The paper industry, however is one of them; it is inherently sustainable." - Jonathan Porritt, Chairman UK Sustainability developement commission and founder Forum for the Future.
Around 50% of paper is recovered and fed back into the papermaking process worldwide. In New Zealand this figure is 78%, the highest in the world.
Paper isn't made from 'roundwood' or logs. It's made from all the offcuts and scraps left behind by the timber industry.
Paper is often (and mistakenly) blamed for deforestation. In fact, thanks to the paper and timber industries, the world's forested surface is actually increasing by around 340,000 hectares a year.
It's estimated there are 25% more trees in the developed world today than at the beginning of the 20th century.
In Europe alone forests are increasing by an area equivalent to more than 1.5 million football pitches annually.
For every tonne of wood produced by a tree, 1.5 tonnes of carbon are taken out of the atmosphere.